On Friday I dined at the Snake River Grill and took advantage of one of their daily specials. My husband and mother had the burger and got a side of morels to add to it. They said, hands down, they were the best mushrooms they had ever had. I know people have been finding them around town, and Executive Chef Jeff Drew offered to share the recipe with us. Make these if you have a secret stash. I went foraging this weekend to no avail.
Recipe: Snake River Grill Morels
Instructions (This is more of a method than a recipe)
- Melt 2 ounces of unsalted butter in a very hot medium size saute pan.
- Immediately add the cleaned morel mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Toss in the pan until mushrooms release their moisture.
- Add 3 ounces of dry sherry to the pan, and allow alcohol to burn off.
- Then add 4 to 5 ounces of heavy cream.
- Lower the heat and reduce the cream until it gently coats the cooked morels.
- Add a pinch of fresh tarragon.
- Taste again for salt.