Who doesn’t love bacon? It’s been a favorite ingredient since the dawn of time. And don’t even get me started on pork belly. To finish off our week of Thanksgiving recipes (we will be back Monday with more), here is a simple recipe for pork belly. Use it just like bacon in any of your holiday dishes (green beans, stuffing and Brussels sprouts would be delicious!). Here is how The Wild Sage’s executive chef, Arthur Jeffries, does pork belly.
Recipe: Wild Sage’s Pork Belly
- 1 pork side belly
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 ginger thumb
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 thyme sprigs
- chicken broth
- Rub belly (not yours-the pork!!) with sugar and salt. Center in hotel pan arrange remaining ingredients around the sides of pork. Add enough chicken stock to cover.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook 7 hours in slow oven at 275 deg.
- Drain and press in walk in overnight.
- Discard vegetables and portion as needed, freeze remainder for another use.