Our hands are our best tools in the kitchen, and let’s be honest, it’s just more fun getting our hands dirty (as long as you have a sturdy napkin). This recipe is easy to make and fun to eat. It’s a good candidate for lunch and dinner, and it doesn’t hurt that it’s healthy, either. This organic meal serves four, and is totally gluten and dairy free, and is low in carbs, so you won’t feel guilty when you’re done eating it. There are approximately 570 calories per serving and only costs $7.65 per person.
It takes 15 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook. How simple it that?
Here’s your shopping list at Jackson Whole Grocer:
Grilled Chicken and Sausage Skewers With An Herb Blend Salad
- 2 red bell peppers, produce department, $2.00
- 1 package of grape tomatoes, produce department, $3.29
- 1 zucchini, produce department, $.59
- 1 package of Earthbound herb blend salad mix, refrigerated section on the wall next to produce, $3.99
- 1 package of fresh sage leaves, to the right of the salad mix in same refrigerated case, $2.99
- 1 package of Johnsonville hot Italian sausage, same refrigerated case as sage leaves, just farther toward the back of the store $6.99
- 1, 100 ml bottle of Vom Fass Rosemary extra virgin olive oil, Vom Fass kiosk, right across from sausage, $10.98
- 1 100 ml bottle of Vom Fass Aceto Balsamic Platinum, Vom Fass kiosk $12.98
- 1 small jar of Vom Fass herbs de provence, $5.94
- 1 package of Smart Chicken, boneless, skinless chicken thighs, in the back of the store about 3 rows past the Vom Fass kiosk, $9.28
- 1 package of wooden skewers end of aisle 2, $.99
- About 2 hours prior to cooking, cut 4 of the chicken thighs into two inch pieces and marinate in 2 tsp. of the Vom Fass rosemary extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of herbs de provence and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Put 10 of the skewers in a shallow baking pan and cover with warm water. When you are ready to grill, fire it up and get it hot (at least 450 F). Scrub it with your grill brush. Rinse off all the produce. Cut the red bell pepper into about 2 inch square pieces, the zucchini into 2 inch wide slices and then in 1/2 and cut 3 of the sausages into 2 inch wide slices. Remove the wooden skewers from their water bath. Start building your skewers, placing the red pepper on each end, making sure you have some of each item on each skewer. Pour 1 teaspoon of the Vom Fass rosemary extra virgin olive oil into a small bowl and brush each skewer with the oil. Season with kosher salt.
- Turn the grill down to low. Grill skewers on each side until thoroughly done (about 7 minutes on each side). Serve over the herb blend (2 skewers a person) and drizzle 1 teaspoon of the Aceto Balsamico Platinum over the skewers while they are sitting on their bed of salad leaves.
You should have the following left over:
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 sausages (freeze the chicken thighs and sausages in separate zip-lock plastic bags for use in a soup, stew, risotto or pasta (recipes to follow)
- most of the skewers
- 1/2 of the Vom Fass rosemary evoo
- 3/4 of the Vom Fass Aceto Balsamic Platinum
- most of the Vom Fass herbs de provence