If you missed the recent Taste of Jackson Hole dinner at The James Beard House, you’re like the rest of us who weren’t able to make the pilgrimage to New York City. But now you don’t have to go without a taste of the special dinner, prepared by chefs from Gavin Fine and Roger Freedman’s Fine Dining Restaurant Group.
Find some of the dishes from the James Beard menu at their Jackson restaurants (the list is below). And bonus, they’ve also provided us with a recipe.
This year marks the third time area chefs have cooked at the Beard House, what’s become a tradition every fall. Chefs Joel Tate, Matt Lombardo, Serge Smith and Chad Horton prepared this year’s feast.
Shrimp, House-made Andouille, Grits- Q Roadhouse and Brewing Co.
Fall Squash Latkes, Smoked Wyoming Trout, Shaved Cured Tuna, Lemon Crème Fraîche – The Kitchen
Fresh Mozzarella, Bona Furtuna Olive Oil- Bin 22
Seared Sea Scallops, Ginger-Soy Butter, Greens, Oyster Mushrooms,Tobiko Vinaigrette, Crispy Shallots and Ginger- Rendezvous Bistro
Black Garlic Fettuccine, Shaved Umbrian Truffles, Fiore Sardo, Grapefruit Jus- Il Villaggio Osteria
Chipotle-Coffee Rubbed Venison, Pumpkin Puree, Fried Farro, Wild Mushrooms, Salsa Verde- Bin 22
Cream + Sugar Ice Cream Sandwiches- Bin22, Il Villaggio Osteria and for sale in the retail areas of Bin22 and Bodega
Rendezvous Bistro's Seared Scallops
- Makes enough for 5 people (about 5 scallops per person).
- For the Fried Onions
- 2 red onions, sliced
- Vegetable oil
- For the Asian Vin and sautéed spinach (for on top of the scallops)
- 1/4 cup black vin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 ounce Tobasco
- 1/4 cup rice vin
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 pounds spinach
- Oyster mushrooms, to taste.
- For the Scallop Sauce
- 3 tablespoon ginger
- 3 tablespoon shallots
- 1 cup sake
- 3 cups mirin
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger juice
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 25 scallops
- Slice red onions, cover with milk and soak for 30 minutes. Strain and toss in flour. Fry in vegetable oil and salt to taste. To prepare the Asian vin and sautéed spinach (for on top of the scallops), mix all but the last two. Sauté spinach and mushrooms in sauce. To make the scallop sauce, mix the ginger, shallots, sake, mirin and reduce until caramelized. Add heavy cream and reduce. Add ginger juice, soy sauce and whisk in butter. Strain. To prepare the scallops, salt and pepper scallops and sear in a hot pan with a little oil on one side until golden brown. Remove from heat and flip the scallops over. Let rest until desired doneness. Spoon desired amount of scallop sauce onto bottom of the plate, place scallops on top, add sautéed spinach on top of the scallops. Finish with crispy red onion.