I came up with it this past summer, and it quickly became my go-to dinner party offering. With raw kale, garlic, almonds, olive oil and sesame oil, it’s definitely a healthy and whole food lifestyle choice, and for some reason, these simple ingredients seamlessly come together into a complex and must-have-another bite blend.
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, full of fiber, minerals, and vitamins — most notably vitamins A, C, and K. Raw garlic is not only spicy and delicious, but it also aids in immune system functioning. Almonds are full of healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamins E and B2. Olive oil and sesame oil are also full of antioxidants, phytonutrients and healthy, monounsaturated fatty acids.
That being said, this salad is as nutritious as it is easy to make. If you end up with some leftovers from lunch, you can easily sauté the salad into a wonderful dinner protein accompaniment. Enjoy!
Recipe: Ski Bum Kitchen’s Raw Kale Salad
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 4 cloves garlic (more or less, to taste)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-2 wedges lemon
- ½ cup slivered, raw almonds
- Sea salt to taste (3-6 grinds)
- Black peppercorn to taste (5-9 grinds)
- Rise the kale.
- Pull the greens off of the stalk, and pull or chop into small, bite-sized pieces (if the pieces are too big, the slivered almonds will fall to the bottom of every salad bowl).
- Dice your garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced kale, garlic, olive oil, and sesame oil.
- Add sea salt, black peppercorn, and squeeze the lemon over the salad.
- Toss together.
- Depending upon how much garlic you added to your salad, let the mixed salad stand for at least 20 minutes. With a little time (20 minutes to 2 hours), the raw garlic punch mellows out, and the flavors of the dish settle.
- Right before serving, stir in your almonds.
- Garnish the dish with almonds again right before serving, and enjoy!