This is a great dish when you need to make something in advance and then heat up quickly.
First, make Grandpa Jim’s Italian-American Meat Sauce (see last week’s recipe).
You will also need the following:
- 2 packages of Italian Lasagna Noodles -which tend to be thinner and thus more tender than American lasagna noodles-
- 2 pounds of Ricotta Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese, a wedge about 12 ounces
- 2 pounds of fresh Mozzarella cheese, cut into slices about 1 inch thick
- Pour a thin layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the pan. Next layer the lasagna noodles, cooked al dente in the pan, edge to edge. You may need to trim the pasta noodles to fit the pan. Pour another layer of sauce over the noodles, this time make it a thick layer, about 1/2 inch thick. Then layer the Mozzarella over the sauce. Shave the Parmesan cheese over the Mozzarella cheese. Continue with these layers until you are about an inch from the top of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour until the top is golden and bubbly. If you are going to serve this later, bake for 45 minutes. Reheat for 1/2 hour prior to serving. Enjoy!