This is a great dish when you need to make something in advance and then heat up quickly.
First, make Grandpa Jim’s Italian-American Meat Sauce (see last week’s recipe).
- 2 packages Italian lasagna noodles (which tend to be thinner and thus more tender than American lasagna noodles)
- 2 pounds Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese, a wedge about 12 ounces
- 2 pounds of fresh Mozzarella cheese, cut into slices about 1-inch thick
- Pour a thin layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the lasagna noodles, cooked al dente in the pan, edge to edge.
- You may need to trim the pasta noodles to fit the pan.
- Pour another layer of sauce over the noodles, this time make it a thick layer, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Then layer the Mozzarella over the sauce.
- Shave the Parmesan cheese over the Mozzarella cheese.
- Continue with these layers until you are about an inch from the top of the pan.
- Bake at 350 F for an hour until the top is golden and bubbly.
- If you are going to serve this later, bake for 45 minutes.
- Reheat for 30 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!