This time of year, I am all about easy, and also all about soup. The right soup can be relatively easy to make, but also an impressive weeknight dinner. They are filling and warming, and so great to eat at the end of a long, cold day.
I was recently in the mood to make something different and had tried a delicious coconut milk base soup from Jackson Whole Grocer, so I decided to start with that idea. I explored a few online sources and came across something that looked good. I added a few things and voila, dinner was a hit!
This only took about 20 minutes to prepare and it was so lovely. I will for sure make it again and hope you enjoy, too.
Broccoli, Spinach and Coconut Curry Soup
- 1 jar green curry paste
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, plus more to serve
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 2 scallions, shredded
- Store-bought crispy shallots or onions, for topping
- Place the curry paste in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, onion, salt and pepper and bring to a low boil. Cook until the onion has wilted (about 10 minutes). Add the broccoli, cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove from the heat and add the spinach leaves and half the cilantro.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Divide among serving bowls and top with the extra spinach, remaining cilantro, scallions and crispy shallots.