Following last month’s introduction to a three-part series dedicated to quinoa, I present the Quinoa Burrito.
The following is a recipe that provides a delicious alternative to the classic meat/rice burrito. Given to me by a friend, I featured this recipe last year on my own website blog. I have decided to share it once again, as it is delicious, healthy and appropriate for the fall season.
Yams: High in antioxidants
Black Beans: Vegetarian protein
Quinoa: High fiber and calcium
Cinnamon and Cayenne: Anti-inflammatory
- Yam Mixture:
- 2 1/2 lbs yams cut in large cubes
- 2 tsp melted butter or oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Zest & juice from 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Salt & pepper
- Combine in pan and cook at 400 degrees until tender.
- 1 can rinsed, drained black beans (or 14 oz of cooked black beans)
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Combine in small bowl with yam mixture.
- Large tortillas (flour or gluten-free)
- Warm tortillas in oven for 2 minutes.
- Fill with mixture, and top with salsa, cilantro and Mexican cheese.