Since the skiing has been great, you can probably afford to eat dessert this week. This pie is the perfect après ski dessert to make! It is easy to prepare, rich and creamy and the perfect reward after a day of skiing. It only took a few minutes to make, and obviously was eaten almost as quickly. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peppermint Pie Recipe
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 candy canes, crushed to small pieces
- Heat oven to 450 F. Make pie crust as directed on box using 9-inch glass pie plate. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat; cool. In small bowl with electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cooled chocolate and peppermint extract until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating on high speed 5 minutes after each addition; beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Pour into cooled baked shell. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream that was whipped with vanilla and powdered sugar and sprinkle peppermint all over the top. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
This column was originally published in the Jackson Hole News and Guide.