One of our earliest requests for a recipe from Persephone Bakery, this bread pudding combines croissants and cinnamon brioche in a popular sweet treat.
Persephone’s Bread Pudding
- 1 pound bread (Persephone uses a combination of chocolate croissants and brioche cinnamon rolls, but any brioche type bread would be great- and then throwing in about 2 cinnamon rolls makes it outstanding!)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 cups good bittersweet or dark chocolate (such as valrhona)
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Begin by cubing your bread in 1/2 inch to 1 inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat the cream till it comes to a boil and add your chocolate, whisking till combined.
- Next add your two cups of milk and stir.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
- Temper the eggs by pouring about a quarter cup of your warm dairy into the eggs and whisk. Continue adding the cream mixture slowly while mixing until completely combined.
- Make sure to have the finished custard in a container large enough to fit all the cubed bread. Place bread in the custard, fully coating each piece and leave covered in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Pour the bread pudding into a greased pan and place in oven for approximately two hours. Allowing the custard to set up slowly in the oven will leave you with a deliciously moist bread pudding.
- Test to see if it is finished by placing a toothpick in the center.
- It should come out of the dessert cleanly.